Alright then, here is what I WANT in the extended cut, in no particular order. This is more or less just so i can stick this on the internet, if you wish to read it, thank you.
1. Waaay more comprehensive, include all the fleets, flotillas. Geth, Elcor, Batarian, Salarian, you see and hear very little to nothing if you gather them all, which makes the Arrival of Sword fleet cool but incomplete.
Ground based Assets too, the Turian black ops team you get, the Spectre unit, the STG, Kirrahe, Arlakh company, The Rachni(that was supposed to be important!). Aria's Merc army also never makes an appearance.
The advanced Cerberus fighters, Turian fighters, no other fighters other than alliance are shown, even just a shot of them flying by to set up position would be cool.
2.THANIX CANNONS. The biggest, baddest, most powerful guns that your fleet has at their command and they never use them, except for a half dozen shots by the Normandy where it is really unnecessary, those oculi could be taken out by the Javelin missiles.
I specifically had the Geth fleet equipped with them, but since they never show up, i never see them. It is really jarring though when in the codex it is stated "the Thanix and its variations have seen widespread use among Alliance fleets and beyond." And since the Turians invented it, they should have some of them. These things had some serious power behind them, able to shear a Collector cruiser in half in 2 shots.
3. Explain what happened to the citadel's residents. Really because i went through all the effort of saving Kelly's life multiple times and then she just gets horribly murdered? Not cool. Conrad Verner, he finally gets a shot at doing something useful and having a relationship and he dies too?!
It was said at PAX, if i recall, that kinetic barriers basically kept most people safe. Great!
Problem. You just blew up the power source and control mechanism for the citadel. Barriers instantly go offline. Everyone dies. Awesome. Again, only in control does the citadel survive.
4. While these are a bit far fetched in happening, i want Kal'Reegar back. He was so cool!. An appearance by Shiala, simply because it seemed like she was going to come back, but she never does. Just a minor cameo here and there by some of the extra characters. While i don't expect this at all, i would like it, as i was waiting the entire Rannoch arc for Kal'Reegar to show up. Just those side characters. I know a fair few people really liked Shiala. Kal'Reegar developed a modest following, he should have been in the Rannoch arc, and later become a war asset, because as far as quarians go, he makes it into the top 2 for me. Veetor could as well!
5. Harbinger. Out of every antagonist, ever, Harbinger was probably my favourite, its a toss up between him and The Arishok. He taunts you, he tries to convince you and my personal favourite, he doesn't disregard you as some foolish bug, he might say that he does but he seems rather crafty. Having him as the CEO of ReapingCivs Inc. seemed much more cool and made more sense than the Catalyst. I would've liked to chat with him, he always had something epic to say, even if it was always along the lines of "YOU WILL LOSE, YOU ARE BACTERIA, WE ARE INFINITE".
6. Former Team/People you did not pick as your final squad. The ground battles on earth were good, but the other species involvement was highly downplayed, hell, practically all the named characters do all their fighting off screen, Never see Samara and a bunch of Asari commandos/Justicars ripping through husks with their biotics. Never see Grunt(Or Wrex) leading a Krogan charge, you never see anything like that. They also never come to help you, even when your right and left flank collapse and you have to fight off a crapload of tough enemies...with 3 people. Sure it's doable but damn, no one cares enough to help? Even Garrus...GARRUS does not come to help, the most brotastic guy on your side, and he's just like "Meh". If you decide to keep your love interest out of the battle, they never decide to help out? We know Liara is fiercely protective of Shepard, and practically everyone else romancable(aside from kelly) is a trained soldier loyal to Shepard's cause.
7. The Geth. Just involve them a lot more, you can have an army of troopers, a squad of primes (and possibly amatures and collosi), we never see them. I would rather prefer to have the "Tireless, merciless machines" backing me up than not. The Geth ships too, just show them, somewhere, incorporate them into that cutscene with the swordfleet, intermingled with the quarians to show their newfound alliance. The fighters too, where the hell are they? They could totally back up all the alliance fighters.
8. NO DLC PITCH. Really, that i found just insulting, especially after the ending, at least in ME2 it was like "you can continue and do missions you missed and try out downloadable content". With ME3 is was like *GUT PUNCH* "Buy DLC to extend the series you loved even though it ultimately means nothing! "
9. I know it is planned, but the epilogue. It must be fully comprehensive. Include all squadmates, all former squadmates, all side characters like the Quarian admirals, Eve, Shiala, all of them. Also i would like to know how no one starves, because reasonably, unless enough people died and somehow theres a bunch of dextro-levo stuff or whatever for the turians and quarians to eat. You HAVE to make that believable, don't be lazy about that, seriously.
10. The Relays. They do explode, so i want to know how much force they put out, because relays are definitely not small, being the size of a small planet. If they went into a controlled detonation, i could buy that, but only if it doesn't explode with enough power to have debris fly off at high velocity and make a shockwave that encompasses a significant chunk of the galaxy.
You can't just have them be replaced as easy as a pie, because no one knows how to build them. Don't asspull a solution for that. Using a reaper core or something(none of the rest of the tech, because you know, indoctrination), of course only in the destroy ending.
The only shot at new relays being build in time before anyone starves is in the control ending, where the citadel(a giant mass relay) and the conduit(a small mass relay) survive. And this would only be the forces at Sol. No one else knows. The Quarians certainly don't. The Krogan definitely don't. So there is still the problem of the galaxy being fragmented.
Also a little tidbit telling us that the giant shockwave doesn't destroy everything in a large radius around the relay would be nice, because we really only have the information from Arrival to go on.
11. Full closure with the LI. This is very important. Even that little segment when you make your choice and screw up the galaxy in one of three similar ways, you end up seeing Kaiden/Ash or Liara. Now while i do not begrudge them a spot, i think all romancable characters should get a slot like that. Garrus and Tali should too, at least(if they survived) because they were there from the beginning, or very close. But really that final conversation at the base seems kinda insufficient when your lover is trapped on some random arse jungle planet and may have to colonize with Joker, or they're on Earth and starve to death(Miranda, Jack, etc).
While i'm not sure everyone would agree, if it turned out Liara(for one) was pregnant, that would be kind of nice. Shepard's child grows up hearing stories of her father(and/or mother) saving the galaxy...three times. Perhaps Miranda's sterility was overcome by Shepard. There are numerous possibilities, especially with the female love interests. Males...well, sorry dudes. The love of your life is totally dead.
12. Shepard's rather miraculous survival. Alright, we all know Shepard is a tough son of a bitch, even more so after the cybernetic upgrades, bone weaves and such, but i only think he/she could survive an atmospheric reentry and the sudden stop with hitting the ground, only if Shepard was fully armoured and in good health, not bleeding to death with melted armour as well as surviving an explosion to the face. That really stretches belief. If Shepard was found floating in space, brought aboard a shuttle and then we see a similar scene with the breath, that would make more sense. But really i think you should commit fully one way or the other, either Shepard dies, or doesn't and we get to see him/her live on, at least for a few minutes. This particular scene gives a reasonable amount of credence to the Indoctrination Theory, because it doesn't seem possible otherwise.
13. The Normandy Crash. Just really, i don't understand a lot, well most of this. For starters, why is Joker running? Joker is completely loyal to Shepard and still feels guilty about his/her death. He would never go unless Shepard was completely vaporized. especially if EDI was with Shepard. I really don't understand how your team make it back to the Normandy, theres a battle going on and the Normandy is equipped with a huge powerful gun and would be able to hit weak spots more easily than dreadnoughts and such. Seeing Javik of all people walk out of the ship, the avatar of vengeance of the prothean people runs away. No, just no. The length of the travel time with the relay is strange too, it is meant to be nearly instantaneous , yet theres a few seconds before Normandy gets hit. I also find it extremely lucky that they manage to crash land on a world with oxygen and life, considering the majority of planets throughout the galaxy are barren wastelands. Even luckier is the fact they can apparently eat said foliage. Unfortunately it means that Tali and Garrus starve to death. Again in Twitter "No one starves to death." That's great, but basically impossible without retconning the whole scene, or have them rescued in a few weeks.
14. Plug all the plot holes. But anything that has no explanation other than Space Magic really needs to change. Some small things like where Anderson is when you take up after being shot by Harbinger, then you go into the beam and he says he came in behind you, but you don't see him, your team is conspicuously absent when you wake up too, and they would not just run off without you, even if they presumed you dead. There is a deleted scene where you see what happens to them. While i do not want any of my team to die, i prefer that scene to not knowing anything, or them getting magicked away.
The biggest would be the Catalyst's existence renders the plot of ME1 a complete waste of time. He IS the citadel, there is nothing stopping him from opening himself...himself and letting the reapers in. Why were the keepers necessary? Why was Sovereign necessary? Its like leaving a cat around so that in the next 8 hours he can wiggle my toe for me, even though i can do it myself.
15. Removal of the starchild/catalyst or failing that, an explanation to his existence that makes him NOT be a Deus Ex Machina. I mean really, him being the Citadel completely invalidates the plot of Mass Effect 1. Which is not cool. He almost invalidates the plot of the entire series.
Really the Entire concept of the Catalyst is so wrong. At every turn Sovereign, Harbinger and the Reaper Destroyer have said that their motivations are beyond what we could possibly comprehend. The Catalyst sums it up in 14 lines. It made me facepalm so hard i gave myself a concussion when i thought about that.
If he had the knowledge to do synthesis(enormous amount of space magic aside) then why did he not? Why does he have the power of a god too? Because 1) DNA does not work that way. 2) All life in the galaxy? There are so many and he changes every. single. one. 3) Medical science has essentially been set back to the stone age, how is that good?
Synthesis can only be called Space Magic. No way in hell that it could possibly work otherwise. Altering one species DNA, that could be possible(making it partially synthetic, still impossible) but all organic AND synthetic life? Nope, that would require so much preparation and way more than just one wave of magic. It also makes the "Adam and Eve" thing with Joker and EDI really...weird. So Joker and EDI can have kids now? How? EDI has no reproductive system and Joker STILL has brittle bones(judging from his limping). How the crap is solves anything is beyond me as well. Theres nothing stopping the new hybrid races from building new synthetics. If they do, do the Reapers return? Well...there goes the point of the ENTIRE SERIES.
The Synethetics too, is every Geth, every advanced VI and EDI now part Shepard? If you were a total Renegade, how is that a good thing? You basically gave AI's genes of Badassery. Good job Catalyst, you just made Super AIs
Control actually seems the best solution to me, which is weird. It means TIM was right! But what actually happens is not stated, does Shepard fuse with the Catalyst? Replace him? The reapers, where do they go? Did Shepard send them to fly into a black hole? What is stopping the Catalyst from changing his mind if Shepard was only able to issue one command?
The destroy ending seems...weird. It has been stated that Reapers are unlike any other AI or VI in the galaxy, but the Catalyst, the guy who designed and built the Reapers, doesn't have a kill switch for them? He created them, what is stopping his "created" from killing their creator? If he executes complete control over them, then he invalidates the entire plot of ME1 and he enslaves entire civilisations to become genocidal monsters. If he doesn't and hes the only thing keeping them in line, then there is nothing stopping the Reapers from returning in synthesis or control to kill everything because they have nothing better to do.
The Catalyst is, all in all, a dick. He never gives you the option to say:
"You know what, no. I spent Three years, two of them dead, trying to stop the Reapers, i have fought, sacrificed and slaughtered my way to this point. I ended the war between the Geth and Quarians, and the Geth are the most tolerant of any race i have met. I united the entire galaxy to stop you, every intelligent spaceworthy civilisation is here to fight you to the bitter end, yours or theirs, we fight not just for our lives, we fight for the future of humanity, for all species, for our children, our children's children. So that we can all be united despite our differences. I will not change every organic and synthetic being in the galaxy just because you say it will solve the problem. I will not take Control of the Reapers and take your place. I will not kill My friend who is an AI, or the Geth, who are at this very moment sacrificing their lives in order to stop you!"
Catalyst: Then the cycl-*paragon interrupt prompt*
Shepard: We don't give a damn about your "cycle"! We will fight you, no matter the cost, if even one of us survives to see the last of you fall, we have won. If you kill us, more will rise to oppose you, we will fight with our dying breath to see you dead and gone.
Catalyst: Reconsider Shepard, these are your only options.
Shepard: No, i will not, i have seen friends die, planets fall. I see the dead in my dreams. I fought for them, to avenge them, for their sacrifice to mean something, anything. I had to kill 300,000 people just to delay you. The one i love(in this case, liara) lost her home, i fight to get it back for her. I fight for them all, and more, i fight for the whole galaxy and i will not submit.*leans in* I will Hold. The. Line. *Gestures at the battle* They will hold the line, whether they live or die, they're prepared to do whatever it takes.
Catalyst: You will fail. and you will all die.
Shepard: We walked into this knowing that could happen, we hoped that the crucible would help bring a quick end to this war. Even if it couldn't, we are committed. I find it insulting you would think i would ever consider your options. Either surrender and we might be able to work this out or i swear we will take as many of you down with us as we can. We will fight and we will sacrifice and we will destroy you all. Or we will die trying. Take your choices, your options and shove them up your arse. We will sit here and watch who wins. Even if we lose, we will take you down so the next cycle will be strong enough to stop you. We will throw ourselves into the fire just to hurt you. Eventually your solution will fail, all those you "preserved" will find their end. The only reasoning that makes sense with you logic is if YOU*points accusingly at Catalyst* Killed your creators. Then you felt something akin to guilt, so you created this....monstrosity of a solution so that it would not happen again. "Cooperation furthers mutual goals". A friend of mine said that. He was an AI. He sacrificed himself to give his people true sentience. He did not hesitate. He said his goodbyes and he did what he did for the good of his species.
Catalyst: In time, they will turn against you.
Shepard: No, they won't you cannot just say that. You can't know the future. The Geth have been more understanding than any other race i have met. Collectively, they are peaceful. The only time they turn aggressive is when their survival is at risk. *Shepard glowers at the Catalyst, voice going low and angry* Or when the reapers are around. So screw you, you take the form of the thing that haunts my dreams, you present me with these choices that make no sense and you insult those who are making sacrifices for the good of the galaxy, even giving me the option to kill them. You don't deserve to live. Organics will never stop fighting you. Synthetics fight you now, they will again. They understand what you're doing is wrong. You don't even try to negotiate. I'm dying, my friend, my..mentor, died down below, just to see this through. You roll in over us, never giving us a warning. Did that ever occur to you? To warn us, negotiate with us. Give us reasons and evidence to stop.
Catalyst: It was not considered a viable option.
Shepard: Yeah, and you did not even try. Your way of negotiating is killing me, intimidation and psychological warfare. Real diplomatic. Fuck you and your plan. I'm going to stand here and watch the people i brought here do their job. Ending you.
Or something akin to that, or it could just be a "I should go." Personally i would also like a renegade interrupt to flip him off. I really dislike him.
What I want in the extended cut. Probably not going to happen.
Blog entry posted by Reaper's Armegeddon, Jun 3, 2012.